(Full-Time) Payroll/Audit - Accountant
BARGAINING UNIT / LEVEL: Professional Bargaining Unit - Level 10
SALARY RANGE: $85,743 - $94,690 annually DOQ
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Under the supervision of the Supervisor of Accounting, work activities primarily involve performing independently the functions of the Finance Department which includes maintaining and monitoring an on-premise payroll and time and attendance system; oversight of monthly, quarterly, year-end and audit procedures; providing oversight and ensuring timely and accurate processing of a complex payroll; developing and implementing system-wide internal audit functions for cash handling, procedural compliance and verification of assets; preparing records and reports. Position will work independently, exercise judgment and discretion in completion of duties and makes decisions on department operations and financial matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The list below is intended to describe the general nature of duties only. Employee shall perform other duties as assigned.
- Provide oversight and ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll.
- Process periodic tax and payroll withholding payments.
- Prepare and process periodic and annual filings, reports and reconciliations including:
- Federal and State Payroll Withholding Taxes
- Form W-2
- Social Security
- Labor Department
- Census data
- Prepare, submit and reconcile workers compensation payroll annual audit.
- Preparation and processing of complex payroll activities including but not limited to:
- Bonus calculation
- Severance calculation
- Other payments through the payroll system as needed
- Adjustments for appropriate processing of payments reflecting tax deferrals in accordance with regulations
- Working with Chief of Finance and other staff, develop and implement appropriate internal audit functions including:
- Cash handling
- Inventory (warehouse, sundry, food & beverage product)
- Point of Sale Software
- Procedural compliance
- Verification of fixed assets
- Perform inventory reconciliations and assist with annual physical inventory processes.
- Assist with preparation and monitoring of wage and fringe benefit budgets and costs.
- Assist with general Finance Department routine and special projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree with specialization in finance, accounting, public administration or related field. Master’s degree preferred. Applicants with 8 or more years of related service will be given credit toward meeting the minimum educational requirements and will be considered for the position.
- Five years of experience in payroll and general accounting or related field.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) and/or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) certification is a plus.
- Experience in municipal finance and accounting preferred.
- Experience with processing a complex payroll utilizing an on-premise system.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and practices of payroll processing & associated required periodic reporting.
- Knowledge of the applicable laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of modern office management procedures, practices and computer equipment as applied to accounting systems.
- Knowledge of typical office applications including Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to assist in planning, organizing, directing and reviewing the work of employees engaged in a variety of finance/accounting activities.
- Ability to meet successfully and to establish effective working relationships with co-workers, department heads, other officials and the public.
- Ability to gather financial data and express ideas and thoughts clearly verbally and in writing.
- May be required to adjust schedule to meet organizational needs, including special events, evenings, weekends & holidays.
- Ability to perform essential duties.