(Full-Time) Park Maintenance Worker/Specialist
BARGAINING UNIT / LEVEL: Non-Supervisory Bargaining Unit - Level 04/06
SALARY RANGE: $49,795 - $66,581 annually DOQ
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Under the supervision of the District Park Maintenance Manager, Park Maintenance Supervisor and/or Golf Course Maintenance Supervisor, work activities in this position primarily involve performing unskilled and skilled labor in connection with the maintenance of buildings, structures, grounds, construction and development of parks, utilities, roads and special facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The list below is intended to describe the general nature of duties only. Employees shall perform other duties as assigned.
- Irrigation system upkeep and repair.
- Mowing parkway median in high traffic areas.
- Operate trucks, tractors, riding mowers and heavy equipment.
- Mow lawns using push mower or power-driven lawn mower.
- Pick up and cart away rubbish.
- Assist in repair of roads, walks, buildings and mechanical equipment using hand tools.
- Shovel snow from walks and driveways and plow roads during inclement weather.
- Water lawns and shrubs using hose or by activating fixed or portable sprinkler.
- Dig ditches and excavate for foundations using pick and shovel.
- Clean out drainage ditches and culverts using shovel and rake.
- Operate and maintain swimming pool, splash pad, sewage lift station, drink dispensers and vending equipment.
- Repair and maintain physical structures using hand tools and power tools.
- Repair, replace and maintain plumbing fixtures.
- Repair plaster and lay brick.
- Load, unload and move building materials between work areas.
- Build, repair and install counters, cabinets, benches, floors, partitions, etc.
- Determine defects in and maintain heating, water, and drainage systems
- Determine defects and repair or replace electrical switches and other fixtures.
- Repair, paint or refinish structures, picnic tables, benches, guardrails and woodwork with carpenter's tools.
- Janitorial care and cleaning of buildings.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – Park Maintenance Worker – Level 04
- Associate degree or four years of related experience for Worker Level 04
- Must maintain a valid Michigan driver's license and an acceptable driving record.
- Ability to use hand tools and power tools.
- Ability to operate push or power driver mowers, trucks, tractors and heavy equipment.
- Ability to load, unload and move materials between work locations.
- Ability to stand, stoop and bend for extended periods and move objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to traverse sandy, marshy or wooded areas with even or uneven terrain.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to work varied hours depending upon park demands.
- Possession of Pesticide Applicator License (PAL) or ability to obtain within 6 months of employment.
- Possession of a Michigan Commercial Driver License (CDL–A w/Air) or ability to obtain within 1 year of employment.
- May be required to obtain other certifications as required by Management.
- May be required to adjust schedule to meet organizational needs, including special events, emergencies, weekends & holidays, and coverage of late shifts.
- Ability to perform essential duties.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – Park Maintenance Specialist – Level 06
- Meets all the minimum qualifications of the Park Maintenance Worker – Level 04.
- Ten years of related experience for Specialist Level 06.
- Ability and aptitude to follow instructions.
- Ability to apply knowledge of plumbing, heating and cooling, and electrical methods.
- Ability to apply knowledge of materials, tools, practices and methods of grounds maintenance.
- Knowledge of turf grass and landscape maintenance practices.